Friday, December 29, 2006

Touchdown Guatemala

Guatemala did not really want us to come. Our plane from L.A. was very delayed and approaching Guatemala the whole country was visible (in particular the many volcanoes) except for our airport which was covered by a super-thick cloud. OK, got the message, we better not try to dive into that. We had to park in San Salvador before trying again to get to Guatemala. With 5 hours delay we landed in Guatemala City.
Our organisation, Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos, was great in sending Super-Manuel to pick us up. Very good indeed because while Guatemala seemed a lot smaller in dimension than anything I saw in Mexico, it was still very chaotic and messy. Lot's of police controls were checking vans at the side of the road. LOTS of evangelical Christian ads and missions even at the side of the road set the right atmosphere. Jesu Cristo - la unica esperanza de Guatemala! Hey, if it
works. Manuel guided us savely through it all though and raced to Antigua, the old capital of Guatemala.



The city was built by the Spanish as the administrative center of nearly all of Central America with lots of churches on a strict grid plan. Devastated by an earthquake in the 18th century (there are two major volcanoes visible from just about anywhere in Antigua, one of them still active) the city was abandoned for the new capital Guatemala City (Guate). That luckily left Antigua with all the old buildings, many beautiful ruins of churches and monasteries and a lack
of political importance which saved it from more "effective" modern building solutions. It also made it a major tourist magnet and many foreigners even stayed here. So there's Chinese, Vietnamese, German and Austrian restaurants. Not that I knew who would want to eat German
in Guatemala but hey, what do I know. Of course there's something for everybody and so I do have to admit that I appreciate the sheesha cafe very much indeed.




4 comments:

Nadja Kostka said...

Hello Guatemala-kids,
it sounds like an exciting start, and I am looking forward to hear more about your impressions of christianity-absorbed Antigua..and I am sure, during your year there, you are dying to eat a lekker germa würstchen :)
Buena suerte y muchas buenas aventuras!
Saludos,
Nadja

Lara said...

Lieve Bertine en Tobias,

wat fijn te horen dat alles goed is gegaan.
Nog een overgelukkig 2007 en dat jullie werk in het weeshuis maar een echt verschil mag maken.

Heel veel liefs Lara

Unknown said...

Well, dear friends, I feel obligated to say a few words...
What you're doing is truly amazing and I hope your stay will be very exciting, rewarding and unforgettable!!!
Good luck!
Post lots of pics!
Go to Tical!
besos,
Ida

Unknown said...

Hola Tobias!
Thought I'd reply here.. thanx for sending me the link, I'll be sure to visit it often hehe
To answer your question about my Spanish - you forgot I'm studying Filología Hispánica ;oP My Spanish should be better.
It was so great to hear from you.. so many years have passed.. I think I finally feel that though I wish I didn´t.
Anyway, I´M JEALOUS!! I want to be in GuateLINDA too!!! :o) So tell me what are you doing there? I´m guessing volunteer work of some kind..perhaps?
Btw, you´re wify´s very pretty and you look great! Haven´t changed a bit. At least judging by the pics(Not by the one you attached to one of your emails.. per favoree what was that all about? To scare me? ;oP hehehe just kiding ;o) )
Te mando besos y abrazos..
Cuidate mucho!! Y escribeme!
TQ

Mia :o)