The memory of the massive frustrations with the slow pace of things, the lack of true understanding across the cultural divide and the blatant refusals to help or cooperate will all be too hard to convey. The passionate debates, the gossip, the ravings going on every day, every minute among the volunteers trying to grasp the latest policy changes affecting the kids at the orphanage...all that would seem strangely irrelevant outside of N.P.H. The orphanage is such a small world, a village really, all focused onto itself. My experience with my selective memory tells me that I will forget all about the harshness, the frustration and all will seem to have been glorious and gold.
So let me tell you, dearest friends, the time here is not all beans and fiesta. In fact it´s pretty much split up between struggling and escaping from the struggles. The most popular struggle-activities offered at NPH include: Struggling to be understood and taken seriously in Spanish, struggling to get the kids motivated to learn something even though they always tell you they don´t want to, struggling to keep your digestive track from blowing up, struggling to understand the goings-on of a very confusing organisation and of course the struggle to stay sane and healthy despite it all.
But hey, that´s what we came for so this isn´t me complaining, just setting things right and being honest. Currently I am reading Madeleine Albright´s Memoirs and I get annoyed with her lack of opennes about her doubts and fears that must have marked her way to becoming Madam Secretary. I guess the public sphere is no place for such intimacies, but hell, how are we ever going to learn from the experiences of famous people if all we know is that they came, saw and won in some way or another. I do not believe a bit of it because nobody really knows where their lives are heading and thus insecurity and doubt are necessarily features of the human experience. Saying how to deal with those would be a truly valuable transfer of experience.
Enough ravings though so here is the sugar:
Semana Santa in Guatemala is a unique feast for the senses. It´s a celebration of Jesus´way to the cross and his sacrifice for humankind. Who would have thought that suffering and atonement for one´s sins could make for such a beautiful public spectacle. A general feature of Semana Santa from Spain to Chile are the processions with heavy floats being carried around. A special Guatemalan thing however are the huge alfombras, carpets, made of colored sawdust and all kinds of offerings like fruits, vegetables, toys. The processions then trample over the alfombras. I cannot help but thinking that this is very reminiscent of the sacrifical offerings to pre-Christian Gods. The sacrifice isn´t burned anymore but destroyed in the holy act of the procession, sent upstairs as a prayer along with Jesus´ascension.
Antigua has the biggest Semana Santa celebrations in all of Guatemala. It´s a fantastic and all-enveloping spectacle but for fear of ¨loosing¨kids among the masses the orphanage just celebrated its own Semana Santa. So each class got to make their own alfombra and then stomp it with gusto. Jolly good fun.
When looking for pre-Christian elements in Guatemalan Catholicism it is good to see the original sites of Maya sacrifices for yourself. So off we went with Bertine´s parents to see the ruins of Tikal, one of the if not the biggest city of the pre-colombian Maya world.
Bertine and her parents enjoying some cool coconut at 40 degrees of jungle heat in Flores, Peten, close to Tikal.
A little indigena lending her charm to our hotel at the Lago de Atitlan where we spend the first days of our vacation.
Some boys in a traditional (and pretty crapy) kayak on Lago Atitlan.
Just some clowny guy trying to impress this little Maya lady who made the mistake of paying attention to him.
A ceremonial and sacrificial pyramid in Tikal with the sacrifice-altars and stelae in front of it. This was part of a double-pyramid construction built by the Maya to have the Gods let the world continue going round.
This was part of the central palaces at Tikal, once a city of ca. 100,000.
This is Flores, the capital of Peten, which is Guatemala's state with the most Maya ruins. Built on a Maya cemetery or administrative city it's very pretty itself.
3 comments:
Hello Mr. T. and Mrs. B., I have read the last post and I am glad that this whole experience is really helping you grow in many ways. Central America, as many other lower income regions of the world are places with incredible stories, stories of happiness and disillusionment, of successes and failures. I myself have do not know them all, and that makes me a foreigner in my own land. I feel like I have to express my sincere thanks for what you have done, for trying to understand what my native world is all about, and I hope one day I can go back and try to understand it in ways similar to the ones you have tried so far. All I can say is 'keep up the good work', for it will make a difference at the end.
On another note, your Tikal pictures remind me of my own trip to Tikal 4 years ago. I remember how hot it was, and I guess you guys also had a good taste of it already. I also remember a family of monkeys living near one of the main temples, which tried to scare me away by screeching at me (since then I started to hate monkeys). I hopw you guys had a chance to explore Antigua and its cultural heritage. It is quite an amazing place, the convents, the central plaza, the stone-paved streets and the street vendors. It really makes me want to go again!
Dear Bertine and Tobias,
Wow, I have always wanted to see Tical. Actually, since Cambodia. I met a guy from Rome who's visited pretty much all the famous ruins and temples in the world and Tical was his favourite.
I liked the photo of that temple at dusk, it looks really majestic and probably feels spiritual, also...
I hope Bertina has recovered. Thank you for the amazing stories, and keep writing :)
Love,
ida
Sweethearts in Guatemala!
Thank you for your last post, it is always a pleasure to read them! And I can't wait to understand your life down there personally! So, keep on enjoying the difficult, but life-learning experiences...
Hasta pronto amigos!
Post a Comment